1995-11-01 - Re: Please send cash

Header Data

From: todd@lgt.com (Todd Glassey)
To: dan.schutzer@citibank.com
Message Hash: 1f52da542858adf38ce08ba04fe420c5210a03c7d6e650d9f950fe7f9c6a3d91
Message ID: <v02110102acbd48783387@[204.156.156.4]>
Raw Date: Thu, 2 Nov 1995 00:42:28 +0800

Raw message

From: todd@lgt.com (Todd Glassey)
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 1995 00:42:28 +0800
To: dan.schutzer@citibank.com
Subject: Re: Please send cash

>> While HotJava prevents applets from actively opening connections that
>> violate the user-selected security policy, it allows an applet to accept
>> connections from anywhere.  At this point, an applet only has to use any one
>> of a number of channels to communicate where it is, and have the remote end
>> do the active open.
>
>What if I start a Java applet then send it a faked TCP/IP packet from another
>host? Can I hotwire an outgoing connection that appears to be from the victim
>host?
>
>TCP/IP connections are not really all that directed. It is only the startup
>phase that is trully directed - someone has to start a conversation.
>
>Planned sequence of events :
>
>Mallet:
>        Send out Java applet to Alice
>        Send Bob a connection request packet on port 22
>        Alice's Java applet is accepting connections.
>        Send Alice a "request" packet claiming to come from port 22
>        Should now have an outgoing connection.
>
>???? I'm not a TCP/IP hacker (much). I'll ask our guru tommorow after we
>are done with the NSA.
>

>                Phill

For the most part this scenario would work. The Java Applett that is doing
secure or authenticated work clearly must employ some form of embedded
authenticatation.

A cute trick we are employing in one applet under development here at LGT
is an embedded stream based bi-directional encryption engine. It provides a
direct mechanism to encrypt the data stream within the TCP datagram rather
than outside of it. Since the datagram itself is untouched the simple
interface that Java employs is unfettered. However this proces adds some
performance overhead but allows for a virtual private network to be
constructed directly from the server to the applet context.

This project/concept will be released sometime in January along with some
underpinnings to plug into the FSTC EPayment Handler and its Architecture
along with the applett itself... Yes we will share it with the
CypherPunks... It's the best way I know to get a public testing/err bashing
and beta cycle on a concept.,

We really are not trying to build a product in this effort, rather the
intent  is to prove that although the general "external transport" is/may
be unsecured, that the internal or upper layers do not necessarily suffer
from the same security leakage or process models, and that secure
transactions can successfully be layered upon these "existing"
underpinnings if they are adapted properly.

This is especially true with both HiJacking and Spoofing attack modalities.
But in our model with the upper layers events are synchronized and
validated such that there is little chance for these attack modalities to
succeed.

Again for the world to hear - The Java concept is a Transport Harness, not
the entire magilla. Clearly that is what is going on here... Without thewse
upper layers it is no safer than normal netscape or any other browser
transport.

Sincereley,

Regards,

T. S. Glassey