1995-11-15 - Re: the revolution of microcurrency

Header Data

From: blancw@accessone.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 277f130195d0006b026e8dbe2cb663f1c57d08d35caec1414aaefdd6d70c1bfa
Message ID: <9511112128.AA29071@pulm1.accessone.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 13:55:55 +0800

Raw message

From: blancw@accessone.com
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 13:55:55 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: the revolution of microcurrency

>From Thomas Junker (in reply to Vlad):

> this same idea works with software. you don't see
> software as an end product. you see it as something that
> is evolving over time. and whenever you send money to a
> company for software, in this new system the idea is that
> "I like this software, and I want to see it grow. here
> is my contribution to that".

People as marketplace players do not think like that.

This is a very important point to consider:  how a person as a customer will
_actually_ think.

It is easy enough to propose schemes based on one's preferences of how one
would like a potential customer to make decisions about services, products, and
methods of payment for what is offered.  But doing the customer's thinking for
them doesn't automatically transform them into that line of reasoning.

To better compute whether they will proceed according to how you have imagined,
it is more realistic to consider how the other person reasons on the
circumstance they are facing - from their perspective.

Market researchers actually carry out tests for consumer response and
acceptance of products or payment schemes in order to gauge their success.  And
there are many kinds of potential customers, who will make different decisions
in regard of the same thing:  some will find it a good idea to think about
software in terms of "contributing to its growth" in the longterm, but some
will have immediate needs which they are trying to satisfy and may think "I
need a solution to my problem *right now*" and will look for the
product/service which will solve their problem as it stands in the present.

This is another attractive feature of "the free market":  in it one can find
all sorts of schemes & methods for solving all sorts of problems in different
ways.  There is no single type of consumer, no single circumstance, no one
service or product or scheme which will satisfy everyone, equally, at all
times.

"May the Best Man Win", and "To the Victor Belong the Spoils".  <g>

  ..
Blanc

Thread