1995-11-02 - Re: US government department for crime enforcement!

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 28fe2bf57c44b4e41a1313fabc7fce27ae5f162a2c58bf9ed8aa1a4fb521eb37
Message ID: <acbcf81e00021004a02a@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 03:42:06 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 03:42:06 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: US government department for crime enforcement!

At 2:40 PM 11/1/95, anonymous-remailer@shell.portal.com wrote:
>It's come to my attention that the US government has a group
>called the 'Department of the Treasury Financial Crimes
>Enforcement Network' in Vienna, Virginia.
>
>I know that burocrats like to keep themselves busy, but even
>I didn't think they would go so far as to enforce crimes to
>keep the law enforcement people busy.
>
>What a curious way to spend the taxpayers money.

The Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, FinCEN, is well known to readers
of this list. If you grep for it in my Cyphernomicon FAQ, you should find
references in several places. I first learned of it in 1990, and have
followed it as best I can since. Not too much has been published about it.

It's an interagency working group, with participation by Treasury, State,
FBI, CIA, IRS, Justice, etc.

A good overview of it was in an early issue of "Wired," and is likely
available at the HotWired Web site.

FinCEN's Web page is:

http://www.ustreas.gov/treasury/bureaus/fincen/fincen.html

--Tim May

Views here are not the views of my Internet Service Provider or Government.