1995-11-07 - (fwd) CIS TALK THIS THURSDAY, Nov 9th 4 p.m. in 518

Header Data

From: rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 29bb9eb48516957c0f738d0d55166a816945d49c152d2104cc63534547142af0
Message ID: <v02120d10acc58ab75501@[199.0.65.105]>
Raw Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 06:43:23 +0800

Raw message

From: rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 06:43:23 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: (fwd) CIS TALK THIS THURSDAY, Nov 9th 4 p.m. in 518

Sorry about the forward, but you'll see why in a sec...

Cheers,
Bob

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 15:22:34 -0500
To: bsdc@ai.mit.edu
Subject: [joanne@theory.lcs.mit.edu: CIS TALK THIS THURSDAY, Nov 9th 4 p.m.
in 518]
Sender: bounce-bsdc@ai.mit.edu

From: joanne@theory.lcs.mit.edu (Joanne Talbot)
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 95 11:57:15 EST
To: theory-seminars@theory.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: CIS TALK THIS THURSDAY, Nov 9th 4 p.m. in 518

**Seminar of interest!!

CIS Seminar:    Thursday, Nov. 9th
Place:          NE43-518
Refreshments:   4:00 p.m.
Talk:           4:15 p.m.

Title:          Electronic Cash
Author:         Stefan Brands from CWI

Abstract:
        Two approaches for electronic payments prevail; one focusses
on the secure transmission of creditcard numbers and is account-based,
while the other is token-based and tries to mimic the way coins or
cheques are traded. The first approach can be realized using
elementary cryptographic techniques, but offers at best anonymity of
payments against merchants and requires on-line payment verification.
On-line payment verification can be expensive and become the
bottleneck of a large-scale implementation.

The second approach, electronic cash, can offer full anonimity of
payments, but requires fairly complex cryptographic techniques in
order to guarantee security. Pioneering work in this area has been
done by David Chaum. Unfortunately, his techniques are practical only
for on-line electronic payments and hence less appropriate for
large-scale implementation.

In my presentation I will discuss the design of practical electronic
cash systems that have off-line payment ability.

Further information can be found on: http://www.cwi.nl/~brands/

Host: Ronald Rivest
--- end forwarded text

Robert Hettinga (rah@shipwright.com)
Shipwright Development Corporation, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131
USA (617) 323-7923
"Reality is not optional." --Thomas Sowell

Thread