1995-11-30 - Re: META: Lycos & Searchable archives

Header Data

From: s1113645@tesla.cc.uottawa.ca
To: Leslie Todd Masco <cactus@hks.net>
Message Hash: 309dc970fbfed0dd91166b3a38e7be1113bfdd15a683537c76f10d50d9804667
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9511300640.B15267-0100000@tesla.cc.uottawa.ca>
Reply To: <199511300556.AAA15009@bb.hks.net>
UTC Datetime: 1995-11-30 11:31:21 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 19:31:21 +0800

Raw message

From: s1113645@tesla.cc.uottawa.ca
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 19:31:21 +0800
To: Leslie Todd Masco <cactus@hks.net>
Subject: Re: META: Lycos & Searchable archives

On Thu, 30 Nov 1995, Leslie Todd Masco wrote:

> Someone has expressed concern to me that the cypherpunks archives are
> searchable via Lycos.  Said person doesn't mind having the archives
> searchable to the smaller audience of people who go to the we-site,
> but is unhappy about net-wide searches turning up cypherpunks articles.

Lycos only has a database of abstracts of the archive (which is still
commendable) and the other databases have smallish local archives of the list.
There's no way to do a compleat search at present (other than manual labor and
writing 'bots). A true search engine at the site would be a godsend.
I presume that people who post want their posts read.

Thread