1995-11-04 - Re: FBI seeks huge wiretapping system

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@echeque.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3baaf77016c866e0d59ca858d5f4db9c3b4ddf724c097684b7d327ddbca0d91d
Message ID: <199511042303.PAA29063@blob.best.net>
Raw Date: Sun, 5 Nov 1995 07:12:08 +0800

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@echeque.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 1995 07:12:08 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: FBI seeks huge wiretapping system

> What is very odd however is the FBI request for $500 million.
> [to tap phones]

What is odd about that? -- when I visited Cuba a couple of years
ago it looked to me as if a major chunk of the GNP went into
watching people.  (I hear the situation has improved since then,
perhaps thanks to their continuing bankruptcy.)

At 12:09 PM 11/2/95 -0500, hallam@w3.org wrote:
> When the NSA are being asked to comment on an export license they
> are being asked "is this thing dangerous", not "should it be exported".
> But when the response comes back to commerce "its dangerous" you can
> hardly expect the person on the other end to put their neck out on the
> line and risk allowing [...]

This of course is the basic evil of government regulation:  Bricks are
dangerous.  Two by fours are dangerous.  Water is dangerous.  Playgrounds
are dangerous.  Everything is dangerous, because everything could be used
to cause harm, deliberately or accidentally.

Therefore every action needs to be supervised, controlled, and directed
by your wise and benevolent government, and any attempt to avoid the
benevolent observation of the all seeing eye shows that you must be a
child pornographer-terrorist-drug-trafficker-money-launderer.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd@echeque.com

Thread