1995-11-22 - PROPOSAL: cypherpunks-news@toad.com? (was: rand-test)

Header Data

From: A.Back@exeter.ac.uk
To: perry@piermont.com
Message Hash: 40e512358ecb5e29873961ddce87226355a4bad304a6422133aaef87c6e5c188
Message ID: <5579.199511221742@olib>
Reply To: <199511221609.LAA21172@jekyll.piermont.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-11-22 18:19:53 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 02:19:53 +0800

Raw message

From: A.Back@exeter.ac.uk
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 02:19:53 +0800
To: perry@piermont.com
Subject: PROPOSAL: cypherpunks-news@toad.com? (was: rand-test)

Perry Metzger <perry@piermont.com> writes:
> "James M. Cobb" writes:
> > Friend,
> >

> > The following information from
>
> 1) You are not my friend.
>
> 2) My private mail to you hasn't convinced you to stop this barrage of
>    reposts. Would you please do so?

I am inclined to agree with Perry in as much as the volume of posts to
the cypherpunks list is greatly increased by reposts of news from
other mailing lists, USENET newsgroups, WWW sources, newspapers, TV
programs, films, books, talks, etc.  While some of the information
posted is interesting, and relevant, some others are less relevant,
bordering on noise.

It is much more efficient of list bandwidth to post short pointers
only, of the style John Young <jya@pipeline.com> posts.  Or an
alternative I have been thinking might be useful: a separate list.

The proposal: a separate list for current-event reports/news/reposts.

I think it would be useful if a separate mailing list were set up on
toad.com, called say "cypherpunks-news@toad.com" (or whatever) to
distinguish it from the main cypherpunks list.

That way people who aren't interested to read reposts just don't
subscribe to cypherpunks-news, and those who want to catch up on
cypherpunks related current events, media reports etc, can browse
through the archives for cypherpunks-news.

What do others think?

Adam

Thread