1995-11-29 - Re: Encrypted Email

Header Data

From: “James M. Cobb” <jcobb@ahcbsd1.ovnet.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4be5c53825a7d64f0bda058491dff4112da9856cfc4029b61a98c9a0b9167a62
Message ID: <Pine.BSD.3.91.951129094944.5117M-100000@ahcbsd1.ovnet.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 23:11:43 +0800

Raw message

From: "James M. Cobb" <jcobb@ahcbsd1.ovnet.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 23:11:43 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Encrypted Email

Connie,

On 11 27 95 you asked

    Can anybody briefly summarize for me some options for
    encrypting email that are secure? I know about PGP but
    I need something for (my environment) with an easy to
    use interface (PC-Windows) - for use by people who
    really aren't very computer literate.

The following item from 11 27 95 Computerworld 58 may be
helpful:

 CommTouch Software, Inc. in San Mateo, Calif., announced
 a secure Internet E-mail package called Pronto Secure.

 It allows connected and disconnected users to send and
 encrypt Internet mail.  It supports many Internet security
 protocols, such as Power One-Time Pad, Pretty Good Privacy,
 Privacy Enhanced Mail, Secure Multipurpose Internet Mail
 Extensions (S / MIME) and MIME Object Security Services.

 Pronto Secure, which will ship in March, will require users
 to replace their existing Internet mail systems....  Comm-
 Touch plans to ship by mid-1996 a security module that is
 Messaging Application Programming Interface-compliant and
 works with a user's existing mail [system].

At p 66 of the same issue, there's a listing of "Recent in-
formation security product announcements."  CommTouch is
listed there; its Internet address is

                     micheleb@ipri.com

and a single copy of Pronto Secure is US $299 list.

ipri.com = InterActive Public Relations, Inc in 'Frisco.

Cordially,

Jim

Thread