1995-11-25 - Re: [rehash] Re: crypto for porno users

Header Data

From: loki@obscura.com (Lance Cottrell)
To: gjeffers@socketis.net>
Message Hash: 4ed9c7aae4a96117ec39344461c6385d225f48dba008718100cb63b19803dd8d
Message ID: <acdd0f7b040210046a9a@[137.110.24.250]>
Raw Date: Sun, 26 Nov 1995 02:41:24 +0800

Raw message

From: loki@obscura.com (Lance Cottrell)
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 1995 02:41:24 +0800
To: gjeffers@socketis.net>
Subject: Re: [rehash] Re: crypto for porno users

At 6:05 PM 11/24/95, s1113645@tesla.cc.uottawa.ca wrote:
>Watch the cpunks go round and round and round and...
>
>On Fri, 24 Nov 1995, Gary Jeffers wrote:
>
>>    I know little of the theory of Dining Cryptographers but I would think
>> that a good implementation of it would make infiltrators useless. I will
>> leave it for other Cypherpunks to discuss the mechanics (specific and
>> general) for actually doing this.
>
>Dining Cryptographers nets (aka DC-nets) are the whole idea behind the
>type 2 anon remailers like Mixmaster, and the remailernet in general.
>You'll find a lot on this in the archives, the ftp site (which has Chaum's
>DC article and a good explanation by Tim May) and a few peoples' pages.
>(I think they're mostly pointed to in the pages I list)

I wish this were the case. Mixmaster is not based on the "Dining
Cryptographers" problem, but based on Chaum's "Digital Mixes".

Digital mixes hide the fact that A is communicating with B.
DC nets allow an individual A in a group of people A' to send a message
so that it is impossible to tell who in the group sent it (but it is known
to have been one of the members of A').

        -Lance

Lance Cottrell   loki@obscura.com
PGP 2.6 key available by finger or server.
Mixmaster, the next generation remailer, is now available!
http://obscura.com/~loki/Welcome.html or FTP to obscura.com

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly
it flips over, pinning you underneath.  At night the ice
weasels come."
                        --Nietzsche