1995-11-20 - Re: “Dear Newt” Letter…

Header Data

From: hallam@w3.org
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 552e71625794fde97f23d2b57d48df23cdea0b279ef6101e6a75504cb2d5109c
Message ID: <9511202245.AA28548@zorch.w3.org>
Reply To: <v02120d0facd69dc27ec3@[199.0.65.105]>
UTC Datetime: 1995-11-20 23:41:42 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 07:41:42 +0800

Raw message

From: hallam@w3.org
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 07:41:42 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: "Dear Newt" Letter...

Hmm, not sure that it gets us anywhere. The Republicans seem to be even
more keen on wiretap and anti-privacy legislation than the Democrats.
Its called "being tough on crime".

After the airplane seat incident I don't see Newt in the running for
President so it probably misses the mark. He might slip in a rider on
a bill but if you look at who gets that sort of treatment it correlates
very well with donations, silicon valley seems to be backing Clinton
walet wise.

I would not expect Bob Dole to be resisting pressure from the NSA on this
one more forcefully than Clinton (which let us be clear ain't very
forcefully at all).

I thought the quality of writing rather poor, the points are made in
polemic, partisan terms which can be made in non-partisan terms. If I
were Newt this letter would say to me "we will vote for you anyway", so
why should Newt bother to pander? The ad hoc ginger groups listed are
a bit odd, the authors are associated with much better known (if
fruitcake) groups.

		Phill

Thread