1995-11-13 - Re: POTP Security

Header Data

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5aa2c529b844d25334ce0e6daa181fceb70595ae90435debb8a289826b2dbbfa
Message ID: <199511110657.WAA04599@netcom16.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 17:26:23 +0800

Raw message

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 17:26:23 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: POTP Security

At 19:30 11/10/95 -0500, jgrubs@left.webcasters.com wrote:
>>The first commercially available implementation of our
>>POTP (Power One Time Pad) encryption algorithm. The package includes
>>a POTP Secure FTP Client, POTP Secure FTP Server, and POTP FileCrypt -
>>a stand alone file encryption program.
>What level of security does this cute, little puppy provide???

Since they advertize One Time Pad security, the first thing I want to know
is how they distribute their keys.  One Time Pads require a key as long as
the encyphered message.  A one-time-pad system without a convincing story
about key distribution is bullshit.

Bill

Bill Frantz                   Periwinkle  --  Computer Consulting
(408)356-8506                 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz@netcom.com             Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA

Thread