1995-11-07 - forging headers

Header Data

From: tien@well.sf.ca.us (Lee Tien)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 62efbc539e0b970d7f895b8ed6c68e320e8da81d02f18888a73b76cfa0d13282
Message ID: <199511070249.SAA14921@well.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 11:31:00 +0800

Raw message

From: tien@well.sf.ca.us (Lee Tien)
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 11:31:00 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: forging headers

So I got this message.  How would someone identify the sender of this
message?  I'm writing an article on anonymity, with some discussion of
remailers, and want to argue that forging already permits people to raise
the costs of tracing significantly, anonymous remailers or no.

Lee

>From: freeh@fbi.gov
>Date: Tue, 24 Oct 95 16:07:08 -0400
>Apparently-To: tien@well.sf.ca.us
>
>> How difficult is it to forge headers?  How difficult is it to trace a
>> message to the actual sender if the header is forged?
>
>Not very difficult at all (to forge, that is).  This is a quick and dirty
>example that should be somewhat traceable.  If you want pointers on how to
>trace it, post the whole thing, including headers, to cypherpunks.
>
>Louis

Thread