1995-11-30 - Re: ecash protocol: Part 1

Header Data

From: iagoldbe@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ian Goldberg)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a334ff2dbc63622e3723a82fc6df2e48912591f0d53b22883b4b20629e10dedc
Message ID: <49it0e$r4i@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Reply To: <199511212146.NAA11456@cory.EECS.Berkeley.EDU>
UTC Datetime: 1995-11-30 00:38:24 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 08:38:24 +0800

Raw message

From: iagoldbe@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ian Goldberg)
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 08:38:24 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: ecash protocol: Part 1

In article <199511212146.NAA11456@cory.EECS.Berkeley.EDU>,
Ian Goldberg  <iang@cory.EECS.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:
>I've managed to decipher a useful bit of the first message sent from
>the shop to the payer.  It's the Payment Request, and contains the following
>information:
>
>o Header identifying packet as Payment Request
>o The integer 4
>o The payment amount, in cents
>o The time (seconds since 1970)
>o The integer 79
>o The name of the shop (payee)
>o A description of the item being paid for
>o An empty string
>o The integer 0
>o End of Record marker
>
>I don't know what the 4, 79, empty string, and 0 are for.  I assume one
>of them (probably the 4) is some indication of currency (US cents).

I now know what the empty string and the 0 are for.  In the event that
a Payment Request is sent out-of-band (in an application/ecash message,
for example), the string and integer are the hostname and port (commonly
1100) to which the payer should connect in order to send a payment.

   - Ian "Wait for it..."

Thread