1995-11-18 - ZD Net Update v.1 #2

Header Data

From: wwwziff@internet.com (ZD Net / World Wide Web Edition)
To: wwwedition@ziff.com
Message Hash: c56bfc7f1d08f7859fca7441fca504ea405c7cde656d0597666e38fda1fb0ecc
Message ID: <199511181755.MAA22495@yipee.internet.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 19 Nov 1995 02:17:22 +0800

Raw message

From: wwwziff@internet.com (ZD Net / World Wide Web Edition)
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 1995 02:17:22 +0800
To: wwwedition@ziff.com
Subject: ZD Net Update v.1 #2

__________________________________ZD Net Update_______________________________
v. 1 #2                                                               11-13-95

Welcome to ZD Net Update, the free E-mail newsletter created especially for
registered users of Ziff-Davis Interactive's ZD Net/World Wide Web edition.
ZD Net Update is a bi-weekly bulletin that alerts you to new and exciting
developments on ZD Net.

In this issue:

> ZD NET COMDEX/FALL '95 COVERAGE KICKS OFF
> ZIFF-DAVIS PREMIERES ZD INTERNET LIFE ON THE WORLD WIDE WEB
> TRUE INTERACTIVE REALITY ARRIVES ON ZD NET
> ANNOUNCING SNAP SOLUTIONS TO COMPLEX PROBLEMS
> MEASURE THE HEALTH OF THE NET WITH THE INTERNET INDEX

*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

ZD NET COMDEX/FALL '95 COVERAGE KICKS OFF

Comdex/Fall: It's been called the Greatest Show on Earth, and for good reason.
All this week the ZD Net Special Report

      http://www.zdnet.com/~zdi/comdex/filters/main.html

will provide continuous updates from the trade show, complete with daily news
updates, expert commentary, and Live Chats. Follow PC Magazine's Technical
Excellence Awards, cybercast as a virtual 3D world. Get the skinny from PC
Week's
Spencer F. Katt party. And learn all about the new products that have attendees
buzzing. For all the sights and sounds of the show, ZD Net is the place to be.

*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

ZIFF-DAVIS PREMIERES ZD INTERNET LIFE ON THE WORLD WIDE WEB

This month marks the debut of ZD Internet Life (http://www.zdnet.com/zdil/),
the first interactive magazine designed from the ground up around a Web site.

Combining a magazine, a Web site, and a CD ROM, ZD Internet Life is focused
on using the Internet for fun, profit, and personal growth. The editorial
staff is headed by Bill Machrone, ZD Internet Life's Editor-in-Chief,
Ziff-Davis's Vice President of Technology, and one of computer journalism's
most respected stars. It also includes Web doyenne Angela Gunn and Associate
Editor Lisa Holzer.

Together with expert reviewers, ZD Internet Life's staff picks "The Best"
sites and provides a top-to-bottom listing of "The Rest" of the sites that
address a given topic under the categories of fun, profit, and personal
growth. Readers who visit the Web sites will be able to add their opinions
to an online database of site reviews.

The content of the Web site is a superset of what will appear in the magazine
and on the CD ROM. In the words of the ZD Internet Life editors, "ZD Internet
Life is a Web site with an accompanying magazine. In other words, what you see
right here is a lot like what you'll see on your local  newsstand three months
from now. Make sense? Welcome to the future of publishing."

*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

TRUE INTERACTIVE REALITY ARRIVES ON ZD NET

Blast off into the future with ZD3D (http://www.zdnet.com/~zdi/vrml),
a new interactive virtual reality area on ZD Net. Designed to serve as the
preeminent source for interactive virtual reality on the Internet, ZD3D
provides users with a rich and evolving virtual reality site, direct access
to other 3D Web sites, and a wealth of news, events, articles, and commentaries
focusing on virtual reality.

ZD3D's design is based on Virtual Reality Modeling Language (VRML), a technology
standard created by Tony Parisi and Mark Pesce that makes 3D environments on the
Internet accessible through a standard PC. Users will feel as if they're
actually
strolling around 3D Web sites at will, obtaining information in the form of
graphical,
three-dimensional metaphors. In building the area, ZDI obtained the support of
both Pesce and Parisi, who will contribute exclusive VRML commentaries and
updates
to ZD3D. In addition, Parisi helped ZDI build the ZD3D site through Intervista
Software, his VRML technology and consulting firm.

When ZD Net users click on ZD3D, they're given several options, including hot
news; Parisi and Pesce's commentaries; the WorldView VRML browser from
Intervista
Software and other VRML browsers; and Terminal Reality, ZD3D's interactive
virtual reality experience. The WorldView browser can be downloaded for free,
enabling users to access the Terminal Reality world and launch to the other
3D Web sites available there.

Once in, users navigate through a virtual airport, complete with departure
gates to other interactive 3D Web sites, a central newsstand, and
advertisements on walls and vehicles. Users are transported to 3D sites via a
wide range of vehicles, including rockets, jets, ships, buses, and trains. Over
the next six to nine months, ZD3D will include 3D chat, animated objects, and
3D sound.

Experience the brave new world of virtual reality on the Web. Experience ZD3D
today!

*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

ANNOUNCING SNAP SOLUTIONS TO COMPLEX PROBLEMS

Just don't have enough time to design your own home page? Relax, help is on the
way.

The ZD Net How To Design Your Own Home Page SnapSolution

     http://www.zdnet.com/~zdi/software/snapsol/snapmain.html

provides all the knowledge you need to stake a claim on the World Wide Web and
put up your own site for the whole world to see. This informative, entertaining
guide offers a step-by-step tutorial, using programs chosen from the thousands
of files in ZD Net's shareware libraries as well as colorful screen shots
illustrating
the key points.

SnapSolutions offer hands-on, step-by-step advice on how to make your life more
productive using shareware. Appearing each month, SnapSolutions will focus on
both
computing and non-computing goals alike. The next two SnapSolutions will help
you create
our own screen saver and holiday greeting cards.

SnapSolutions: shareware at its best.

*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

MEASURE THE HEALTH OF THE NET WITH THE INTERNET INDEX

Got an extra couple of grand burning a hole in your pocket? Maybe it's time you
invested in the Internet.

Introducing the Inter@ctive Week Internet Index, or @Net Index,

     http://www.hydra.com/interactive_week.html

a collection of 37 Internet-related companies that give investors a formal
measure
of the performance of the emerging Internet industry.

The @Net Index, which trades under the symbol IIX, was developed by Inter@ctive
Week and the American Stock Exchange to better measure the performance of
businesses
associated with the Internet. It does this by focusing on select Internet
service providers, commercial online service companies, Internet tool companies,
multimedia publishers, and networking companies. The @Net Index also includes
providers of technology expected to shape the future of the Internet, such as
videoconferencing and interactive television.

The @Net Index is a bona fide investment vehicle; options contracts on it will
trade every business day on the floor of the American Stock Exchange. Investors
will
trade options based on the direction the index takes, over time. Initial
expiration
months are November and December 1995; January, April, and July 1996.

The @Net Index closed Oct. 17 at 215.04, up 52 percent since the beginning of
1995.
The Standard & Poor's 500 was up 28 percent for the same period.

For more information about investing in the Index, call (800) THE-AMEX or check
out the AMEX's Web site at http://www.amex.com. The Inter@ctive Week Web site
(http://www.zdnet.com/~intweek) provides trading updates.

*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

ZD Net Update is the official newsletter of ZD Net/World Wide Web Edition. It
is
compiled by Tom Schmidt (tom_schmidt@zd.com). Feel free to respond with any
news,
notes, comments, or suggestions. To unsubscribe to ZD Net Update, point your
browser
to:

     http://www.zdnet.com/cgi-bin/ziffmail.pl/update

and select