1995-11-21 - Re: “Junk E-Mail”

Header Data

From: Sten Drescher <dreschs@mpd.tandem.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: cab6cb9c1da2a6cc323d57f5516e7fec81a01fec3b15728601950274f019352c
Message ID: <199511211546.JAA04806@galil.austnsc.tandem.com>
Reply To: <199511210955.BAA16150@jobe.shell.portal.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-11-21 16:27:09 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 22 Nov 1995 00:27:09 +0800

Raw message

From: Sten Drescher <dreschs@mpd.tandem.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 1995 00:27:09 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: "Junk E-Mail"

anonymous-remailer@shell.portal.com said:

a> On Mon, 20 Nov 1995 hallam@w3.org wrote:
>> I think it would be better to slap a RICO suit onto the company
>> concerned. It sound to me like an attempt to gain financial advantage
>> through threatening behaviour. Where I come from that means jail
>> time.

a> RICO is very serious stuff.  Criminal prosecution under the terms of
a> the Racketeer-Influenced & Corrupt Organizations Act is reserved for
a> very serious situations indeed.  It's true "rubber hose" stuff.

a> It was intended as a tool for use against mobsters, but US attorneys
a> have used it against white-collar criminals.  I think, you'd have to
a> have strong evidence of an ongoing "criminal enterprise", which I
a> don't think you have with junk e-mail.

	Actually, they've started using it against vicious
reversed-black-collar (and non-collared) criminals for daring to
exercise their right under the first amendment to peacably protest.

--
#include <disclaimer.h>				/* Sten Drescher */
To get my PGP public key, send me email with your public key and

Thread