1995-11-06 - Re: using PGP only for digital signatures

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@polaris.mindport.net>
To: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Message Hash: d3b09cb9eaba374d129fc8e818fcdf5d28f0f25fc5603bab2ac7ae38808209fb
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.951106061220.8722D-100000@polaris.mindport.net>
Reply To: <199511060208.VAA14123@panix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-11-06 11:35:01 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 6 Nov 1995 19:35:01 +0800

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@polaris.mindport.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 1995 19:35:01 +0800
To: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Subject: Re: using PGP only for digital signatures

On Sun, 5 Nov 1995, Duncan Frissell wrote:

> >> Consider this: most people in the U.S. do not have a "credential" that
> >> shows them to be U.S. citizens. (Hint: most people in the U.S. do not have
> >> passports.)
>
> My passport is always close at hand.  I love an unchallengeable credential
> that has neither my address nor my SS# on it.  I also carry my birth
> certificate which I use for most non-driving interactions.  It doesn't have
> much useful info on it.  Secured credit cards which can be obtained in any
> name are also handy.

I have often found and come across considerable problems using a
passport, local or foreign, as identification.  Many estlablishments
simply refuse to accept them, as if they are inferior somehow to the
non-standardized frequently forged allmighty driver's license.  This is
mostly ignorance and a lack of common reference, as few americans
actually HAVE these documents, or have even SEEN them.  (No, I'm not
kidding).  I found this particularly distressing in D.C.  To some degree
it's institutional, where recording a "drivers license number" on some
form becomes problematic for the $5.50 and hour clerk who can't find the
field "driver's license number" anywhere on the passport.

While I just take my business elsewhere when that is possible, I think
it's interesting to note how desperatly people cling to the social
security number and completely inept identifications like state issued
licenses as if to let go would mean a decent into the bleeding hell of
anarchy.  (In its popularly assumed and feared form)

---
"In fact, had Bancroft not existed,       potestas scientiae in usu est
Franklin might have had to invent him."    in nihilum nil posse reverti
00B9289C28DC0E55  E16D5378B81E1C96 - Finger for Current Key Information

Thread