1995-11-04 - Re: video as a source of public randomness

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: dd41b7dabdbec842ef5b6e164db190f301e42263a43602aff0ce8a52fb931a97
Message ID: <acbf9287090210045bcb@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Sun, 5 Nov 1995 05:30:00 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 1995 05:30:00 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: video as a source of public randomness

At 5:08 PM 11/3/95, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>Timothy C. May writes:
>> I  don't plan to belabor this point. Radioactive decay sources are
>> certainly fine, though not likely to be purchased by most people.
>
>Video digitzation equipment connected to TV tuners turned to dead air,
>your suggestion, are equally unlikely to be purchased by most
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>people. The geiger counters are very simple and cheap, too.

It is not correct to call this my "suggestion." I was responding to a
video stream as a source of random input to something like /dev/random?
I'm thinking along the lines of a Connectix QuickCam (sp?) or the cool
videocam that comes with the Indy...."

I was commenting on the sources of randomness, such as atmospheric RF
variations, antenna configuration, tuner sensitivity, amplifier noise,
etc., that would make prediction of snow bits very difficult.

As to suggesting setting the tuner to dead air, this was just one facet of
the discussion.

I have no brief with any of the proposed schemes: nearly any are better
than what we have now, if widely deployed and suitable used.

--Tim May

Views here are not the views of my Internet Service Provider or Government.