1995-11-16 - Re: e$: Financial Cryptography for Dogs, pt. 2. OpenDoc Kitchen, anyone?

Header Data

From: Dave Del Torto <ddt@lsd.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: f39c19e4f1fa76a9f639ca1351f6e3f9bcd36389644233c8b41b0622019b5e73
Message ID: <v03003c06acd09c889725@[129.46.82.91]>
Raw Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 23:00:00 +0800

Raw message

From: Dave Del Torto <ddt@lsd.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 23:00:00 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: e$: Financial Cryptography for Dogs, pt. 2.  OpenDoc Kitchen, anyone?

[elided]
>I've heard about something called an OpenDoc Kitchen, which is a periodic
>>hack fest put on by Apple for developers of OpenDoc parts where code is
>actually written.
>
>My understanding is that this will be held at Apple, in Cupertino, in
>early December.

That was at Apple in Cupertino, 11-13 NOVEMBER, not December. Whoops...I
heard about it from Jose Carreon earlier and should have spoken up sooner,
but there'll be another.

Attendance by Marcel and/or Felix at such a "kitchen" would be an
*excellent* idea. An OpenDoc-ish model will uncoubtedly be the one many
different OS designers (can you say "redmond?") at least copy someday for
look and feel, so it would be smart for DigiCash/Ecash to be in on the
early payment models. And anyway, Marcel could use a relaxing visit to
sunny California so he can hand-lob a grenade at my house. ;)

>They are especially interested in anyone from Digicash who would like to
>make a digital cash OpenDoc component for Cyberdog, because I've been
>ranting to them about this picture in my head of someone dragging digital
>cash icons onto a register icon in a web browser to pay for a purchase.
[elided]

You're on _exactly_ the right track, Robert. I hope everybody listens to
you. As DC -- or perhaps whatever commercial client development company DC
chooses to license the Ecash technology to for spreading this
valuable-to-humanity technology far beyond the reach of "only" the big
financial companies -- well knows, the version _after_ the next version of
the Ecash client will have to be as easy to use as a smartcard if anyone
really expects to [insert your favorite politically-sensitive verb here]
the worldwide flow of value, perhaps making it more convenient for everyone.

The register idea is an interesting one, but I think the belt coin-changer
interface is more to the point, both graphically, and metaphorically. The
non-expert Person in the Street (maybe even the street-people) will do very
well with something like that.

   dave

Thread