1995-11-09 - Re: Pegasus Mail

Header Data

From: Adam Shostack <adam@lighthouse.homeport.org>
To: rsalz@osf.org (Rich Salz)
Message Hash: f56161111ecc4f5beb2309eefb7bfb054eafeacfdd11bfcd4b523f81663aec46
Message ID: <199511091518.KAA08137@homeport.org>
Reply To: <9511091252.AA04699@sulphur.osf.org>
UTC Datetime: 1995-11-09 15:29:02 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 23:29:02 +0800

Raw message

From: Adam Shostack <adam@lighthouse.homeport.org>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 23:29:02 +0800
To: rsalz@osf.org (Rich Salz)
Subject: Re: Pegasus Mail

I sure hope no one does.  The ITARs seem to contain a 'scienter'
requirement; that you must know (or have a reasonable idea) that you
are breaking them for it to be criminal.  If he thinks he's ok, he is
until someone tells him otherwise.

	I am not a lawyer.  That is not legal advice.  Go consult a
good ITAR attorney if you want to try that at home. :)

Rich Salz wrote:

| I sure hope some tells David Harris that his program is now export
| controlled.  From my reading of his message, it seemed like he thinks he
| "beat the system" because he didn't include actual crypto code.

					               -Hume

Thread