1995-12-04 - Re: Globally legal Netscape

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr. Dimitri Vulis)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 0bd96cc0608c25653bbff94c55bec790dae2f1bd3d16b7414b0494254eba1b61
Message ID: <ay0JFD12w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <9512032146.AA07279@all.net>
UTC Datetime: 1995-12-04 02:09:30 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 3 Dec 95 18:09:30 PST

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr. Dimitri Vulis)
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 95 18:09:30 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Globally legal Netscape

fc@all.net (Dr. Frederick B. Cohen) writes:
> 	- The Russian revolution resulted in purges killing hundreds of
> 	thousands of innocent people because of their private, turned
> 	public, views as expoused in their private writings.

Correction: tens of millions were killed (including my great-grandfather).

> 	- The Soviet government took away personal privacy to keep their
> 	stranglehold on their people.

It's interesting to note that the democratic Russian government banned
all unlicenced cryptography this year. (I posted the translation of
Yeltsin's decreee to this list).

> 	- The Germans under Hitler used personal records to identify and
> 	murder millions of Jews and other peoples.

One conspiciously absent example: the Roosevelt administration used the
census data (supposedly confidential) to ferret out persons of Japanese
descent, who were then sent to concentration camps.

---

Dr. Dimitri Vulis