1995-12-01 - Re: VisaCash security.

Header Data

From: ljo@ausys.se (Johansson Lars)
To: fletch@ain.bls.com
Message Hash: 164e4375f687fb5e375e2f4df5bdddea14b6662539895a956365473df7f649b4
Message ID: <95Dec1.124621gmt+0100.53761@void.ausys.se>
Raw Date: Fri, 1 Dec 95 03:48:51 PST

Raw message

From: ljo@ausys.se (Johansson Lars)
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 95 03:48:51 PST
To: fletch@ain.bls.com
Subject: Re: VisaCash security.

<fletch@ain.bls.com> wrote:

>        I think the Visa stuff is basically stored value and
>rechargeable smart cards, not really ecash type money.  Supposedly
>you'll be able to get a card with $10 or $20 on it and all the
>vending machines and phones around the Olympic venues will be set
>up to take the cards.  So to answer your questions, no it's not really
>digital cash (like ecash); and yes I think it's probably traceable
>to some extent (unless you buy stored value cards w/paper cash).
>
>        First Union, the bank selling the cards, has a page on them:
>
>http://www.firstunion.com/visacash/
>
>        Low on the technical info, but they give an address to mail
>questions to.

A couple of weeks ago I was giving a talk at a conferance on
computer technology in financial applications in Stockholm.
I mentioned VISA:s electronic purse 'Smart Cash' in my talk
and during the break afterwards a representative from a danish
bank told me that VISA:s 'Smart Cash' was actually bought from
the danish purse/project 'Danmont'. Does anyone know the truth
of this, please let me know.

Regards,
/Lars Johansson
ljo@ausys.se