1995-12-06 - re: NIST GAK export meeting, sv

Header Data

From: “Peter Trei” <trei@process.com>
To: <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 251225ea9f59051fd6a3c3b0dfe4b8740e2714fcb0fe340b3fd185c21f609437
Message ID: <9512061445.AA14166@toad.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 6 Dec 95 06:45:57 PST

Raw message

From: "Peter Trei" <trei@process.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 95 06:45:57 PST
To: <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: re: NIST GAK export meeting, sv

"Hieronymous" says:
>       (Thanks for the summary, Pat.)
>       This last bit is really rich. I can't think of a single publically
> defensible reason for the stipulation that every escrow agent must employ
> someone with SECRET clearance, but I *can* think of a publically
> indefensible reason for it -- to facilitate those spooky non-court wiretap
> authorizations that've been alluded to in the fine print of the GAK
> proposals.

This is probably one reason. Another is that they could shut down an
escrow agent at a moment's notice by pulling the clearances. We
haven't seen the other requirements, but an interesting question is
what happens when an escrow agent goes out of business.

Speaking for myself....

Peter Trei
Senior Software Engineer
Purveyor Development Team