1995-12-10 - Re: Is there a lawyer in the house?

Header Data

From: Brian Davis <bdavis@thepoint.net>
To: cme@acm.org
Message Hash: 2675ec6694de1c3004005d20644c845afbda480b5cad855579180b357505c4d0
Message ID: <Pine.BSF.3.91.951210005729.18670B-100000@mercury.thepoint.net>
Reply To: <9512072127.AA28756@tis.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-12-10 06:00:33 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 9 Dec 95 22:00:33 PST

Raw message

From: Brian Davis <bdavis@thepoint.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 95 22:00:33 PST
To: cme@acm.org
Subject: Re: Is there a lawyer in the house?

On Thu, 7 Dec 1995 cme@acm.org wrote:

> >Date: Sat, 2 Dec 1995 03:39:00 -0500 (EST)
> >From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@polaris.mindport.net>
> >Subject: Re: Netscape gives in to key escrow
>
> >An individual has no legitimate expectation of privacy in the encryption
> >numbers in his GAK browser, we reasoned, because he voluntarily conveyed
> >those numbers to the government when he purchased the software.
>
> It could be even worse.  I was on a panel last year with Scott Charney (sp?)
> (I believe from DoJ) during which he commented that if you give your secret
> key to anyone -- e.g., your own company -- then you have given up the
> presumption of privacy.  That leaves the police open to get that secret
> without a warrant.  This claim should be checked by a real lawyer.

I suspect that Charney was referring to the fact that the third party
keyholder could be compelled to surrender your key under subpoena without
having any right against self-incrimination invoked.
And in that, of course, he was correct.  (But if you give it to your
lawyer, for example, the communication is privileged ...).

EBD

> |Carl M. Ellison    cme@acm.org    http://www.clark.net/pub/cme		   |

Thread