1995-12-06 - Re: Solution for US/Foreign Software?

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2bf1ab906050afe85b7066f9aba742eb89c964bd6b4aea2f9d90b3711dfc20d7
Message ID: <acea846c10021004df03@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Tue, 5 Dec 95 23:18:59 PST

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 95 23:18:59 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Solution for US/Foreign Software?

jim bell proposes "crypto hooks":

>1.  Write a program with limited encryption (40 bit?), with the encryption
>module in a file external to the  main program.
>2.  Get export approval for this program.
>3.  Write a module which replaces the encryption file, increasing key size
>to whatever you REALLY wanted in the first place.  (128-bit IDEA, 2000-bit
>PGP, etc.)
>4.  Ship that new module with the old software to US customers.
>Naturally, that new module will "leak," so anybody who buys the old
>program out of the country can convert to a fully-functional version by
>downloading it from a foreign bbs that just happens to have it.  The
>module can be encrypted/signed by the manufacturer so everyone can be sure
>of its identity and genuineness.
>

>Better than nothing, I suppose.

"Crypto hooks," basically the scheme you are proposing, were thought of by
the authorities and are not a bypass of the crypto export laws.

--Tim May

Views here are not the views of my Internet Service Provider or Government.