1995-12-02 - Re: [NOISE] Barring access to Netscape

Header Data

From: “Robert A. Rosenberg” <hal9001@panix.com>
To: Herb Sutter <herbs@interlog.com>
Message Hash: 57040faff0c265b7dc14831e0c0d575f396a7c1e64c3b1c3972b8b9730c8b507
Message ID: <v02130501ace58f7111d6@[165.254.158.210]>
Raw Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 05:57:10 +0800

Raw message

From: "Robert A. Rosenberg" <hal9001@panix.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 05:57:10 +0800
To: Herb Sutter <herbs@interlog.com>
Subject: Re: [NOISE] Barring access to Netscape

At 15:41 12/1/95, Herb Sutter wrote:

>At 14:26 12.01.1995 -0500, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:
>>If you want to see one way of locking out Netscape users, check out this
>>URL which points at a Web Page that will not allow access by Netscape Users
>
>Just a personal note... while I am strongly in favour of security, this
>seems rather petulant and knee-jerkish.
>
>JeffW: Please add a configuration option to let users override the "Mozilla"
>ident, so that they can continue to use Netscape at all sites.  I personally
>won't use the override, though; if a site is going to insist on trying to
>frivolously exlude me as a user based on nothing but the browser I choose to
>use, they aren't serious anyway.
>
>>(the guy is ticked off at them trying to establish their own standards) -
>
>The _market_ establishes standards (been proven time and time again).  His
>reaction sounds pretty childish to me, but YMMV...
>
>Herb

I am not advocating his gripe (or the security question) - My message was
posted to provide an example of how to treat Netscape users special by
locking them out IF you have a need/desire to do so (which was what was
being requested).

Thread