1995-12-31 - Re: Is Dr Fred Cohen a Loon???

Header Data

From: “R. J. Harvey” <harveyrj@vt.edu>
To: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr. Dimitri Vulis)
Message Hash: 5a1c8060b493e6a5ba2cd2d2b938e096ccda61d83255ed5d7e37aed6d9cdfe1a
Message ID: <199512310359.WAA23216@quackerjack.cc.vt.edu>
Raw Date: Sun, 31 Dec 1995 12:33:34 +0800

Raw message

From: "R. J. Harvey" <harveyrj@vt.edu>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 1995 12:33:34 +0800
To: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr. Dimitri Vulis)
Subject: Re: Is Dr Fred Cohen a Loon???

At 08:15 PM 12/30/95 EST, you wrote:

>In my experience, people who get so hysterical when a Ph.D. calls himself or
>herself Dr. are invariably Ph.D. dropouts who wasted many years of their lives
>trying and failing to attain a Ph.D. and are bitterly envious of those who have
>succeeded.

   Well, my experience is exactly the opposite: the
ones who have to brandish the "Ph.D." label are the
ones who were the least secure in their abilities,
and the ones who seem least deserving of having ever
graduated.  Often the same folks who feel compelled
to put "Dr." in their 'from' lines.
   This is from one of the numerous people on this
list who have Ph.D.s and who don't wear them on
their sleeves (and who only "wasted" 3 years of his
life in getting one)...

rj

Thread