1995-12-03 - Re: Info on Netscape’s key escrow position

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@echeque.com>
To: Jeff Weinstein <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5a6c2cfd04ca02bcf2757f7cc34bbe893e03f572c0fb2cc109e23363bd97f795
Message ID: <199512021603.IAA00950@blob.best.net>
Raw Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 19:01:01 +0800

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@echeque.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 19:01:01 +0800
To: Jeff Weinstein <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Info on Netscape's key escrow position

Jim Clark wrote:
>> But if we do not come up with a solution to this problem that is
>> acceptable to each government, we will not be able to export our products,
>> except with a short key length (e.g. 40 bit keys), and that will not be
>> acceptable to corporate customers in other countries.

I read it as saying:  "Let us help the government invade the privacy
of our customers, so that the government will do us some favors in export
licensing", rather than "Well if they stick it to us at gunpoint,
we will submit."

I would appreciate some further "clarification".

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd@echeque.com

Thread