1995-12-04 - Re: “Got a subpoena?”

Header Data

From: jimbell@pacifier.com (jim bell)
To: sameer <sameer@c2.org>
Message Hash: 5c841cdc1da9b78c61f701744db18942e6f4260036c3ac02bda3ef486953569f
Message ID: <m0tMeLx-00091DC@pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 4 Dec 95 09:16:08 PST

Raw message

From: jimbell@pacifier.com (jim bell)
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 95 09:16:08 PST
To: sameer <sameer@c2.org>
Subject: Re: "Got a subpoena?"

>> Note that I am assuming the willingness of the phoneco to be UNCOOPERATIVE, at least according to "the spirit of the rules."  They could still cooperate according to the LETTER of the law.
>
>	It's in the phone company's best interest to be cooperative.
>*but* in the case of, say, an internet privacy provider, it is in the
>provider's best interest to be uncooperative.

I would PREFER that I be able to legally obligate my service provider (and phone co) to provide only that level of cooperation which is actually, literally, legally required.  I would like to be able to know that if my service is tapped in some way, I receive a letter de-certifying the previous state of non-tapped-ness that it possessed.

Thread