1995-12-31 - Re: Massey, CEO of Compuserve, on Internet

Header Data

From: Steve14571@aol.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 64b5317b3ec5f322290f1141e8210e15a50f13ddcb52049ad24e90a41af76412
Message ID: <951231091526102864093@mail06.mail.aol.com>
Reply To: _N/A

UTC Datetime: 1995-12-31 14:15:34 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 31 Dec 95 06:15:34 PST

Raw message

From: Steve14571@aol.com
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 95 06:15:34 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Massey, CEO of Compuserve, on Internet

In a message dated 95-12-30 21:34:12 EST, accessnt@ozemail.com.au (Mark
Neely) wrote:

I assume that C$ is only filtering the newsfeed as it hits German shores?
Please tell me
they aren't denying access to these "banned" newsgroups for all users
worldwide!

This is exactly what they are doing, Mr. Neely.  I am not familiar with
CompuServe, as I have never used it.  However, based on my understanding of
how Usenet operates, it would be possible to write software and incorporate
it into CompuServe software that would block German readers from the
"obscene" newsgroups.  CompuServe would rather score points with the mostly
ignorant general public by saying that they are becoming more
"family-oriented."

I get my access through America Online, and I am afraid that these monolith
online services (AOL, Delphi, Prodigy) will follow C$'s lead so they may also
say they are "family-oriented."

I will no longer send mail to addresses that end with "compuserve.com."  If
AOL decides to become family oriented, I will look for other ways to connect
to the net.

Thread