1995-12-09 - Re: .PWL spin

Header Data

From: “Joseph M. Reagle Jr.” <reagle@rpcp.mit.edu>
To: Joel McNamara <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6fb14fa27b89212f6f2d6270c55527f2cb19c5c2e6ac76a267309caacbf653d2
Message ID: <9512092212.AA22246@rpcp.mit.edu>
Raw Date: Sat, 9 Dec 95 14:10:10 PST

Raw message

From: "Joseph M. Reagle Jr." <reagle@rpcp.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 95 14:10:10 PST
To: Joel McNamara <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: .PWL spin

At 09:11 AM 12/9/95 -0800, Joel McNamara wrote:

>Microsoft said it plans to strengthen the encryption, Bennett said.
>Password data will be stored randomly, making it harder to find on the
>computer, he added.

        Oh that is clever! (Security through obscurity!)  Make it all the
harder to back up the file!  I had the minimal amount of security W95 allows
one to have by having the default user not be able to do anything, then the
me user to everything (for which you needed a password...)  Of course my
registry got corrupted (eudora beta for W95) and the only damn thing it did
remember was that the default user couldn't do anything, and it no longer
knew who I was...
        So now, I don't even bother with that, I'm just hoping securdrv,
sfs, or something makes it to W95 one of these days... (I doubt either of
those will make it...)
Regards,        	It is absurd to divide people into good and bad.
			People are either charming or tedious." -Oscar Wilde.
Joseph Reagle   	http://farnsworth.mit.edu/~reagle/home.html
reagle@mit.edu  	0C 69 D4 E8 F2 70 24 33  B4 5E 5E EC 35 E6 FB 88

Thread