1995-12-13 - Thursday noon, SF: Meatspace rally against cyberspace censorship

Header Data

From: John Gilmore <gnu@toad.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 72cdc81389804f673c269f8710b2913acc08d5ae96ba3ee5cff8bf856f8c88ed
Message ID: <9512130233.AA20672@toad.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 12:18:22 +0800

Raw message

From: John Gilmore <gnu@toad.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 12:18:22 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Thursday noon, SF: Meatspace rally against cyberspace censorship

Monday's rally was canceled on account of rain.  There is now a backup
location in case of rain on Thursday.  Check the web page before you leave,
or come to South Park, and the backup location will be close by.  See you
there!     -- John

Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 18:15:44 -0800 (PST)
From: protest@wired.com (--Todd Lappin-->)
Subject: SF RALLY -- THURSDAY

This is an updated announcement for Thursday's Rally Against Censorship,
with the current list of speakers.  The rally will take place rain or
shine, so hope for the best, bring an umbrella, and spread the word.
Thanks!

                *** NETIZENS!! RALLY AGAINST CENSORSHIP ***

                         Thursday, December 14, 1995
                       at South Park, 12:00 - 1:00 PM
                          San Francisco, California

                           --  Rain or Shine!  --

     **PROTEST ** PROTEST ** PROTEST ** PROTEST ** PROTEST ** PROTEST **

Amendment I: "Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of
speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble."

     **PROTEST ** PROTEST ** PROTEST ** PROTEST ** PROTEST ** PROTEST **

It's like illiterates telling you what to read. On December 6 members of
the House Conference Committee on Telecommunications Reform approved a
proposal to censor free speech in cyberspace. If the measures are adopted,
the Net and online media will become the most heavily regulated media in
the United States. They *will not* enjoy the First Amendment freedoms now
afforded to print media. Instead, online publishers and users will be held
to a vague and patently un-Constitutional "indecency" standard. "Violators"
will be subject to fines of up to $100,000 and prison terms of up to five
years.

In response, ALL members of the Bay Area media, online, Internet, new
media, and telecommunications communities are invited to participate in a
protest rally to express our outrage that the politicians in Congress
(which is not even connected to the Internet!) are attempting to destroy
our First Amendment rights in cyberspace, and directly attack our
livelihoods.

Help stop the demagogues in Washington! There is nothing "decent" about
denying free speech to us, our children, and our children's children.
Preserve our Constitutional rights! Join us!

WHEN: Thursday, December 14, 1995  12:00 - 1:00 PM

WHERE: South Park (between 2nd and 3rd, Bryant and Brannan) San Francisco.
       (In the event of rain, an indoor location will be announced)

SPEAKERS:Mike Godwin, EFF; John Gilmore, co-founder, EFF; Denise Caruso,
New York Times columnist; Jim Warren, online activist; Howard Rheingold,
author; Dave Winer, essayist and software developer; Audrie Krause,
Executive Director, CPSR; Jonathan Steuer, CEO, Cyborganic Corp; Michael
Goldberg, Publisher, Addicted To Noise.

BRING: Attention-grabbing posters, signs, and banners that demonstrate your
committment to free speech and expression, and your feelings about
Congress.

FOR UPDATED INFORMATION: http://www.hotwired.com/staff/digaman

(Although this event is being organized in the offices of Wired magazine
and HotWired, we are *actively* seeking participation and support from all
members of the local community. Please forward this message to anyone you
think should attend, and to all relevant news groups.)

CONTACT: Todd Lappin -- 415-222-6241 -- protest@wired.com

Thread