1995-12-10 - Re: The Elevator Problem

Header Data

From: Daniel Miskell <DMiskell@envirolink.org>
To: s1113645@tesla.cc.uottawa.ca
Message Hash: 765b0fcbfa0e8fbc028a71b01698efbdf9b4491ec8d2d0479dde09d9602e4e2f
Message ID: <9512101551.AA02550@envirolink.org>
Raw Date: Sun, 10 Dec 95 07:51:40 PST

Raw message

From: Daniel Miskell <DMiskell@envirolink.org>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 95 07:51:40 PST
To: s1113645@tesla.cc.uottawa.ca
Subject: Re: The Elevator Problem

s1113645@tesla.cc.uottawa.ca writes:

>On Sun, 10 Dec 1995, Daniel Miskell wrote:
>
>> There is an easy way to develop a secret key in front any number of eves,
>>be  they experts or not, without the eves knowing what the key is.  Even if
>>they  tap your phone/comm line, ect.  There was an article in Discovery
>>Magazine a  couple of years ago, talking about how to use photons and their
>>randomness as  the perfect, uncrackable code.  Use of the photons aside,
>>there was a key  generation method discussed, simple, yet secure enough to
>>work out on a tapped  phone.  Let me root around.
>
>You must mean quantum crypto, by G. Brassard and C. Crepeau of U de Montreal.
>Requires a direct fiber optic line from pt. A to B, in order to be
>secure, if I am not mistaken. Which makes it impractical for most people,
>as there are usually switches (or whatever they're called) and more than one
>line in between. Lets you use OTPs with your next-door neighbor though.

I think i was misunderstood.  I was not referring to the actual use of light
in the communications process.  I was talking about the key generation method
suggested in that article.  Of course the use of light is impractical for most
- the need for direct fiberoptics aside, you have to be able to test a photon
for its polarized orientation.  In any case, i dig on.

Regards,
Munster.

---
_________________________________