1995-12-07 - Multiple questions

Header Data

From: liberty@gate.net (Jim Ray)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7856b79a146d3643466e95d503940fa67d0165c55c7eb6fe91e17107487b3ad4
Message ID: <199512072002.PAA64046@tequesta.gate.net>
Raw Date: Thu, 7 Dec 95 12:01:01 PST

Raw message

From: liberty@gate.net (Jim Ray)
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 95 12:01:01 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Multiple questions

Hello again cypherpunks:

[In order to conserve bandwidth, I am going to ask for 5 things at
once which have nothing to do with each-other in this post. Please
reply to me privately if it's at all possible. <liberty@gate.net> ]

1. I have searched the archives for the author/artist of the "Rose on
Random Bits" logo, and I have e-mailed many cypherpunks "old-timers"
with no luck. [The logo appears at the top of the archives, but I am
well aware that, as an anarchy, cypherpunks has no "official logo."]
I have seen a number of beautiful logos during this search, but no-
body has pointed me to the author of this particular logo. Any help
finding this person would be _much_ appreciated. TIA.

2. I keep hearing every once-in-a-while about PGP3.0 (coming "real-
soon-now") but there's nothing specific about what's delaying it. I
would urge the developers (whoever they are) to release version 3.0
*before* the upcoming US presidential election, and I am interested
in finding out more. TIA.

3. I have been asked by a Libertarian Party presidential candidate
for a proposed platform plank in favor of strong, private, non-"GAK"
encryption. [OK! I've stopped saying "FUCKED"!<g>] Of course, I want
the maximum cypherpunk input possible, so feel free to suggest. The
wording must *not* be too technical in nature and should (of course)
condemn ITAR. <spit!> It should explain the real meaning of "escrow"
and the "Newspeak" version in as few words as possible. TIA for any
help on this. I'll post my final version if there's enough interest.

4. Has anyone in France been prosecuted for civilly-disobeying their
anti-strong-crypto law by using PGP? What happened? Did the French
people just roll over? TIA for any pointers (in English, please).

5. [A comment] Assuming the "secret clearance" requirement, how fast
could an escrow agency be decertified if the "secret" person dies or
is fired or heads for Anguilla, etc.? [Of course, I would not give a
secret key to such a system, considering the effectiveness of simple
attacks like "the honey trap" (ask Mordechai Vanunu how this attack
works).]
JMR
Regards, Jim Ray
http://www.shopmiami.com/prs/jimray
PGP key Fingerprint  51 5D A2 C3 92 2C 56 BE  53 2D 9C A1 B3 50 C9 C8
Key id. #  E9BD6D35 (key on homepage & servers) <liberty@gate.net>
PGP encrypted mail enjoyed, even if it's _not_ "important." IANAL
Help Phil! email zldf@clark.net or http://www.netresponse.com/zldf

Thread