1995-12-07 - re: Re: Secret Clearance (was: re: NIST GAK export meeting, sv)

Header Data

From: “Christopher Kleiman” <ckleiman@fdic.gov>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 856a221c3e5ff56bad30bf6d2b7b4f38150b48f5a174aa881ed0b9aedfb21892
Message ID: <JSI8+hdmlka@DACS_DC_16.FDIC.GOV>
Raw Date: Thu, 7 Dec 95 09:53:23 PST

Raw message

From: "Christopher Kleiman" <ckleiman@fdic.gov>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 95 09:53:23 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: re: Re: Secret Clearance (was: re: NIST GAK export         meeting, sv)

Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com> said:

>>BS> secret clearances are _expensive_, usually take a long time to get,
>>BS> and the military only gives them to people who need them.

>	Strange, the military processed a SECRET clearance on me even
>before I signed on the dotted line.  Now a TS, that's expensive, but
>they didn't have much on me other than my SSAN and, I think, my prints
>to process the SECRET, so they couldn't have done much more than run be
>through the FBI criminal database.

>#include <disclaimer.h>				/* Sten Drescher

Actually, you filled out some paperwork when you signed up that was sent
forward; it wasn't much more than a check against all of the govts "evil type
people" databases.  However, I understand that it depends on what Level of
background check as well.  A limited background investigation involves
filling out a long form saying that you've been a good boy/girl; it goes up
from there.  "Civilians" are different from military as well; after all, in
one they own you, in the other, you can actually go home at night.;-)

**
Nothing I say can be held as the viewpoint of my employer; I'm a short-timer
any, so I really don't care what they think!

Chris
**

Thread