1995-12-18 - Re: What ever happened to… Cray Comp/NSA co-development

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 933577573e22115c8138e15ae062dd0deb6e02fe6f41f8d6e5589b03029c1912
Message ID: <acfaecb9000210043d3c@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Tue, 19 Dec 1995 04:15:02 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 1995 04:15:02 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: What ever happened to... Cray Comp/NSA co-development

At 5:50 AM 12/18/95, Jim Gillogly wrote:
>Correction of one detail:
>
>> tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May) writes:
>> When you've done this, and concluded that RSA-129 could be done in, say, X
>> minutes, then move on to RSA-384 (the BlackNet key cracked by the MIT
>> group), and on to the 1024- and 2048-bit keys. Tell us how many years or
>> centuries it will take. (Hint: Rivest and Schneier have done these
>
>The BlackNet key break didn't have any MIT involvement: it was done by
>Paul Leyland of Oxford, Arjen Lenstra of Bellcore, Alec Muffet of Sun UK,
>and Jim Gillogly of Cypherpunks, RAND, and Gillogly Software in no
>particular order.

Sorry, Jim. I thought that Derek Atkins was involved, which led to thinking
it was MIT. Now that you've reminded me, some of the details are beginning
to come back. (I knew that someone from our list was involved....)

--Tim May

Views here are not the views of my Internet Service Provider or Government.