1995-12-08 - Re: More FUD from First Virtual

Header Data

From: cman@communities.com (Douglas Barnes)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 97bccea30430bf0f66b889b2b7b9519e4041825bf304f699625f9de67c3f67fd
Message ID: <v02120d01acee261ab478@[199.2.22.120]>
Raw Date: Fri, 8 Dec 95 11:04:24 PST

Raw message

From: cman@communities.com (Douglas Barnes)
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 95 11:04:24 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: More FUD from First Virtual

[Remainder of Nat's largely inaccurate rant deleted]

> But basically, what your argument comes down to is that in
>the event of a catastrophe, users can be told they have to sacrifice
>their anonymity if they want to keep their cash.  As I have said all
>along, the basic tradeoff is between anonymity and risk limitation in
>the event of disaster recovery.

NB's errors and distortions are numerous, but for the sake of brevity
and topicality I've chosen this particular misconstruction of what
I've written as an exemplar.

In my proposed approach, users don't sacrifice one iota of privacy
when redeeming expired cash. When the user reveals blinding factors
on unspent cash, the bank gives the user new (blinded) cash in
exchange. No payer-payee relationship is revealed. This is the same
wrong argument you've made before. Try reading the (very short) note;
this point is made explicitly. I have no clue what Digicash is
actually doing in this regard, but one of their engineers alluded
to something along these lines at Crypto.

It is this systematic distortion of truth by at least two representatives
of First Virtual that has lead to this (highly intermittent) "vendetta".
I try not to feed the energy creatures, but this particular creature
and his minions are literally running around the country, spewing their
lies whenever they get the chance. When they slam cryptography in the
banking community, you can be assured they don't mention their charity
work for Phil, or how they really want to see anonymous systems some day.

Thread