1995-12-07 - Re: Secret Clearance (was: re: NIST GAK export meeting, sv)

Header Data

From: “Peter Trei” <trei@process.com>
To: <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9f08fdb4c17955d81afb52fac3dd3466b684e16e5544ce0fac1eaf5caf70273d
Message ID: <9512071806.AA08617@toad.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 7 Dec 95 10:06:33 PST

Raw message

From: "Peter Trei" <trei@process.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 95 10:06:33 PST
To: <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Secret Clearance (was: re: NIST GAK export meeting, sv)

> Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com> said:

> BS> Few, if any, other than companies already in the military business;
> BS> secret clearances are _expensive_, usually take a long time to get,
> BS> and the military only gives them to people who need them.

> 	Strange, the military processed a SECRET clearance on me even
> before I signed on the dotted line.  Now a TS, that's expensive, but
> they didn't have much on me other than my SSAN and, I think, my prints
> to process the SECRET, so they couldn't have done much more than run be
> through the FBI criminal database.

     It varies. My SECRET took almost a year and a personal interview
before it was granted. Living 13 years abroad in 5 countries, visiting
the eastern bloc, and having relatives over there, made DISA a bit
nervous.

    Clearances tend to be easiest for nth generation midwesterners
who are just out of school, have never been anywhere, and have no
known relatives abroad.

    I never went for a TS - I figured it would be too much trouble, and
might have been turned down.

speaking only for myself...

Peter Trei
Senior Software Engineer