1995-12-18 - Re: Is ths legal?…

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
To: “Declan B. McCullagh” <declan+@CMU.EDU>
Message Hash: a82b836259756256f60b389c812c7c3cc3fae9918bb8986c9df3a392aa387a79
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.951217195359.9842A-100000@polaris.mindport.net>
Reply To: <ckp8qg_00bkNQ1VJVI@andrew.cmu.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1995-12-18 02:20:39 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 10:20:39 +0800

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 10:20:39 +0800
To: "Declan B. McCullagh" <declan+@CMU.EDU>
Subject: Re: Is ths legal?...

On Sun, 17 Dec 1995, Declan B. McCullagh wrote:

> Excerpts from internet.cypherpunks: 17-Dec-95 Re: Is ths legal?... by
> Alan Olsen@teleport.com
> > In looking at their homepage, it appears to be a state funded school.
> > (There is not alot of background on the school history or affiliations on
> > their homepage except for a note that it was founded by the territorial
> > legislature a number of years before becoming a state..)
>
> My understanding is that it is a state school. But for state action to
> be present, there has to be a significant interdependent relationship
> constituting a nexus of state action between the state and the
> university. Like administrators being appointed by agents of the state
> government.
>
> State funding by itself is not sufficient. If that were true, CMU --
> which receives almost half its revenue from the government -- would have
> to behave reasonably. (It doesn't; check out
> http://joc.mit.edu/~joc/cmu.html)
>
> -Declan
> (not a lawyer)

Obviously.

---
My prefered and soon to be permanent e-mail address: unicorn@schloss.li
"In fact, had Bancroft not existed,       potestas scientiae in usu est
Franklin might have had to invent him."    in nihilum nil posse reverti
00B9289C28DC0E55  E16D5378B81E1C96 - Finger for Current Key Information

Thread