1995-12-23 - Re: CFS and Linux

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr. Dimitri Vulis)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b344c09df925e579ead434dfc34647232e4884c6224f78b8195517f785c9d45d
Message ID: <LFRkgD11w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <199512231615.LAA06929@jekyll.piermont.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-12-23 20:27:54 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 24 Dec 1995 04:27:54 +0800

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr. Dimitri Vulis)
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 1995 04:27:54 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: CFS and Linux

"Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> writes:
> Alice B. Cohen writes:
> anonymous-remailer@shell.portal.com writes:
> > >  1: please make it install 'out-of-the-box' on Linux.

I have the impression that the vast majority of free Unix stuff, even
systems-related, runs well under Linux. Some program have problems with flavors
of Unix. E.g., I remember how much trouble it was to get pcomm to run under
SunOS. I see nothing at all "obnoxious" about this polite request to fix CFS. I
see tons of polite requests to fix free stuff on Usenet.

> > AT&T's refusal to support CFS and other so-called "secure" software
> > under Linux is typical and to be expected.
>
> God, you are an obnoxious prick.
>
> First of all, this is Matt Blaze's pet project, not a product of
> AT&T. It is given away for free and you should be happy to get it at
> all -- no one is obligated to give you a gift. Have you mailed him a
> Linux machine to do his testing on? Why do you assume he even has one?
> As it happens, he doesn't, and probably doesn't want to go through the
> hassle of paying for a computer and putting Linux on it.

Perry, one doesn't need to mail someone a Linux machine, or pay for a new
computer. One can install it easily in a partition on a non-dedicated PC
running Windows, and boot it and MS DOS alternatively. I got the latest Linux
CD from $12 from Morse Communications. Or, one can download Linux. Most people
have an Intel box somewhere. Linux is free, and comes with source code.

Everyone I know who writes code serously has at least tried Linux. No everyone
uses it for serious work, but everyone at least played with it. Not having even
tried suggests (to me) a regrettable lack of intellectual curiosity.

After using both Linux and SCO Unix Extensively on Intel boxes, I can attest
that Linux is much less buggy and better supported (via Usenet) than SCO.

(*Unix is no longer a trademark of AT&T Bell Labs)

---

Dr. Dimitri Vulis