1995-12-08 - Java musings

Header Data

From: nelson@crynwr.com (Russell Nelson)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: cb61e297f9f90a37801f1afc9b4d9e709fa6bcfc76100d50e397b629eda2e087
Message ID: <m0tO3sm-000G9UC@ns.crynwr.com>
Reply To: <9512081153.AA07233@all.net>
UTC Datetime: 1995-12-08 14:33:20 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 8 Dec 95 06:33:20 PST

Raw message

From: nelson@crynwr.com (Russell Nelson)
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 95 06:33:20 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Java musings

Frederick B. Cohen writes:

 > 	- They won't back up their claims of security by assuming liability
 > 		for resulting damages.  Their liability disclaimers tell
 > 		us they think their security is worth exactly nothing.
 > 		They are asking us to bet control of our IT on a product
 > 		that they take no responsibility for.

You haven't paid for liability claims.  Why do you think you should be
able to pursue them?  I don't know of *any* software which is
guaranteed.  But now you have the opportunity to change that.  Point
out all of Java's problems, and then sell them a solution that fixes
those problems.

 > 	- They don't even provide us with the ability to control their
 > 		product in the way we control other purchased software
 > 		we place into our environments.  The inability to restrict
 > 		which programs from which sources are run on our machines
 > 		is a fundamental element of control.

Again, sounds like something you could sell.  Sell an HTTP proxy that
only passes Java content if it's been signed by your company.  And, of
course, sell the matching signing service.

There are no problems, really, just business opportunities.

-russ <nelson@crynwr.com>    http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr Software   | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | PGP ok
11 Grant St.      | +1 315 268 1925 voice | Flushing, NY.  Not just a suburb,
Potsdam, NY 13676 | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | it's a good idea in general.

Thread