1995-12-12 - ViaCrypt supports CKE in PGP

Header Data

From: “Robichaux, Paul E” <perobich@ingr.com>
To: “‘cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: cde431770a67a8153fa15343f9fd02f2b34ba04cf808a8cd6a94b60cf86a39e0
Message ID: <c=US%a=%p=INTERGRAPH%l=EXCH7951211144556JT00FA05@exch11>
Reply To: _N/A

UTC Datetime: 1995-12-12 06:04:33 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 14:04:33 +0800

Raw message

From: "Robichaux, Paul E" <perobich@ingr.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 14:04:33 +0800
To: "'cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: ViaCrypt supports CKE in PGP

In today's mailbox I got a pack of marketing slicks from ViaCrypt. They're
about to release ViaCrypt PGP 4.0 in two editions: Personal and Business.
The 4.0 release adds some nice new features:
	- recipient groups for sending to several addresses at once
	- a Search dialog for finding keys
	- encryption-only & decryption-only keys
	- signature-only keys
	- key expiration dates
	- a Windows DLL that third-party developers can use (!!)

The biggie, though, are these:

	"Encryption automatically includes Corporate Access Key as additional
recipient (option)"

and
	"Key selection/display dialogs show only keys certified by Corporate
Access Key (option)"

So, real CKE will soon be available from an unexpected source. I'm not sure
whether to be excited or dismayed. On the one hand, any movement towards
CKE seems dangerously close to the slippery slope of GAK. On the other
hand, I know a large corp like Intergraph is much more likely to license
PGP for internal use if it has CKE features-- especially since they can
hold the keys internally. The DLL is an awfully nice feature, too.

-Paul
--
Paul Robichaux, KD4JZG | perobich@ingr.com
Intergraph Corporation   | http://www.intergraph.com