1995-12-09 - More elveator problem

Header Data

From: Jerry Whiting <jwhiting@igc.apc.org>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d9652491a14fc542434af8f1763937801359f79742c512ab86846e0efac7bba2
Message ID: <199512090823.AAA15124@igc2.igc.apc.org>
Raw Date: Sat, 9 Dec 95 00:22:55 PST

Raw message

From: Jerry Whiting <jwhiting@igc.apc.org>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 95 00:22:55 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: More elveator problem

More on The Elevator Problem:

I'll confess that we're working on a new private key encryption product. Free
and clear of existing claims on intellectual property, I'd like a protocol
that answers the elevator problem: how can Alice and Bob agree on a private
key via a compromised channel? I don't want them to meet under a street lamp
and whisper in each other's ears _before_ trying to establish a secret on a
crowded elevator.

I'm willing to accept that the basic question is undoable without stepping on
DH et al., I just don't want to give up until all parties are convinced it
can't be done.

As I stated in my original post, we're willing to consider less-than-perfect
implimentations if we can quantify mathematically the risk involved. In some
scenarios, Alice and Bob might not expect any Eve's in the crowded elevator
or value the content at such a price that they're willing to live with less
than 100%. As long as we can document the risk, the end user can make the
decision as to whether the risk is worth it.

Something that I neglected to mention before is that Alice and Bob do have a
unique ID within this system, not that they necessarily know each others. If
one assumes that they do, they then share a secret: the knowledge of each
other's unique ID.

Another segment of our attention is being spent daydreaming about the
potential applications of a secondary channel in the cleartext portion of a
crypto "package" or "bundle".  The comment about secondary channels that I
believe Tim made regarding the inmates and the warden is something we discuss
in our spare time.

Then again the wheels of justice doth turn and patents ain't forever...

Jerry Whiting
jwhiting@azalea.com

Thread