1995-12-23 - Re: Navy hacked by Air Force?

Header Data

From: anonymous-remailer@shell.portal.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d96dd9ca007bd83e8b0d1bc0386e6f45e3f80602ea1b2148e39eb85068a3325e
Message ID: <199512230006.QAA06030@jobe.shell.portal.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 23 Dec 1995 08:49:37 +0800

Raw message

From: anonymous-remailer@shell.portal.com
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 1995 08:49:37 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Navy hacked by Air Force?

On Fri, 22 Dec 1995, Vin McLellan wrote:

>         This might be relevant. This is a page from the NCCOSC web site
> <http://www.nosc.mil>

Thanks for posting this.  It was very helpful.

>         The Naval Command, Control  & Ocean Surveillance Center (NCCOSC)
> is the U.S. Navy's warfare center for command, control and communication
> systems and ocean surveillance and the integration of those systems which
> overarch multiplatforms. NCCOSC is based in San Diego, CA.
>
>         Note that NCCOSC recently decided to beef up NCI's user
> authentication.  See "Current Initiatives."

Duly noted ... (as long as it don't lead to a false sense of security)

> [* ] NCI net - What it is
>
>    * An enterprise network serving NCCOSC and other communities of interest
>    * Modelled after the global Internet, logically part of the Internet
>    * Provides ubiquitous high-speed low-delay TCP/IP connectivity throughout
>      the organization and to the Internet
>    * Provides dialup access from home or TDY via 1-800 number, including
>      SLIP and PPP support

Betchya that WATS line gets a whole lotta billings to it. <p>

>    * MIME adopted as corporate email standard, email systems upgraded
>         o Many user agents upgraded to MIME compliance
>         o Testing gateways for interoperability with non-compliant systems
>         o Performing extensive interoperability tests

MIME??!!??  They adopted MIME??!!??

Good grief.  This is not good ... not good at all.

>    * New sites connected
>         o CINCLANTFLT, Norfolk, VA
>         o The Pentagon
>              + BRAC Office
>              + OSS LAN
>              + DASN/C3I

Oh no ... it's worse ... *sigh* ...

no wonder that Newt and Dole had such a grim look on their faces when they
emerged from their scheduled one-hour, (went for two) meeting with the US
President -- the one that was the day before the freshman congress persons
did their incredible end-run on their own leadership.

Impressive.  Truly.

What would have caused both Newt and Dole to flush like they did?  Did
they demo a hack into the personal e-mail of the Vice-Chairman of the JCS?

>    * New Web server installed
>         o "neelix", a Sun SparcServer 1000, installed outside firewall
>         o "www.nosc.mil" now points at neelix

Pretty firewall ... nice firewall ... <p>

>    * Enhancing Infrastructure to provide ISDN dialup service

Good idea.  ISDN dialup provides significant bandwidth.  Very significant
bandwidth. Almost enought to control a battleship.  (If there were any
battleships, I mean).

>    * Upgrading D.C. area connectivity to Metropolitan Fiber service at 10
>      Mbps
>    * Getting sites 100% connected (TCP/IP to every desktop)
>    * Developing MIME to X.400 gateway for connectivity to DMS world

Yep.  Perfect.  Just what the doctor ordered.  TCP/IP to every desktop.
And MIME for all.  Oh, and to ice the cake, toll-free ISDN dial-ins.

Hmm, let's see ... for Christmas Santa ... I'd like a packet-switched
network with a public outdial to a toll-free ISDN dial-in ... oh, that
and a Gulfstream V under the Christmas tree.

What are they going to do next, give everyone some Czechoslovakian C-4?

Stick a bit of civilian software into all of this, and let's all have a
good look at whether someone can take over something a little more
interesting than a battle ship.

Like maybe an aircraft carrier??

Gee, that oughta harden their drawers ...

Alice de 'nonymous ...               <an455120@anon.penet.fi>

                                  ...just another one of those...

P.S.  This post is in the public domain.
                  C.  S.  U.  M.  O.  C.  L.  U.  N.  E.

P.P.S.  Feel free to repost widely ... IW ... c4i-pro ... wherever ...

Thread