1995-12-13 - Re: Time-based cryptanalysis: How to defeat it?

Header Data

From: fc@all.net (Dr. Frederick B. Cohen)
To: hfinney@shell.portal.com (Hal)
Message Hash: dd739165b04aac0860a48fa06416e303771ebe0e6ee4efcfc997d2511c13d509
Message ID: <9512130320.AA22567@all.net>
Reply To: <199512130144.RAA08950@jobe.shell.portal.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-12-13 05:49:58 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 13:49:58 +0800

Raw message

From: fc@all.net (Dr. Frederick B. Cohen)
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 13:49:58 +0800
To: hfinney@shell.portal.com (Hal)
Subject: Re: Time-based cryptanalysis: How to defeat it?

> From: futplex@pseudonym.com (Futplex)
> > I don't understand why Kocher's point is correct. For example, why do the
> > times diverge with the following modification of the modexp algorithm on
> > pg.2 of the abstract ?
> >
> > 	Algorithm to compute R = y^x mod n:
> > 		Let R_0 = 1.
> > 		Let y_0 = y.
> > 		For i = 0 upto (bits_in_x - 1):
> > 			Let M = (R_i * y_i) mod n.
> > 			Let R_(i+1) = (bit i of x) * M  +
> > 					(1 - (bit i of x)) * R_i.
> > 			Let y_(i+1) = (y_i)^2 mod n.
> > 		End.
>
> I posted a similar idea on sci.crypt, but later I realized that Paul Kocher
> is right.
>
> Your algorithm works OK for the first iteration.  The amount of work is
> pretty much constant regardless of whether bit 0 of x is 0 or 1.
> However, at the end of that iteration R_1 will have one of two
> different values depending on that bit 0 value.  And, the attacker can
> know these two values, and if he controls y he can even choose them
> (they will be either y or 1).

I think that a lot of chosen plaintext attacks work regardless of timing
analysis.  For example, there is a well known chosen plaintext attack
against the RSA.  The deeper issue is that all of the efficient
algorithms for modular exponentiation take more time for 1s than for 0s.
So the way to get security is to sacrifice efficiency (a widely known
but rarely proven reality).

-> See: Info-Sec Heaven at URL http://all.net/
Management Analytics - 216-686-0090 - PO Box 1480, Hudson, OH 44236

Thread