1995-12-31 - (NOISE - LONG) Re: PLA_gue Germ Terrorism

Header Data

From: jonnyx <jonnyx@edge.edge.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: de79d639915b935aa87908b5fca0b996d97222c6fd1008e118bea6980786f9e3
Message ID: <199512312003.OAA20537@edge.edge.net>
Raw Date: Mon, 1 Jan 1996 04:40:18 +0800

Raw message

From: jonnyx <jonnyx@edge.edge.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 1996 04:40:18 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: (NOISE - LONG) Re: PLA_gue Germ Terrorism

Crypto relevance: absolutely none!

Good lord, what nasty reactions! Maybe there's hope for us
after all. I'll allow myself one reply. Sorry 'bout the length.

< snip re: my bits on targetting specific genetic traits >

zinc wrote:

> this is so much shit.  targetting anything is very difficult.
> just ask all those people about the wonders of gene therapy.
> hell, even the economist had an article about it's failures
> recently (Dec 16-22 1995, p77).

Putting a person on the moon was considered impossible by most
folks 50 years ago. The German v-series rockets were cutting
edge technology. Now licensed hobbyists can buy solid fuel
motors that are just as powerful some of the ones the Nazis
had (source: _High Power Rocketry_). Things change.

> in any event the so-called 'differences' you are imagining
> are phenotypes.  these are a long cry from DNA.  i'm not
> aware of any genetic markers available to distinguish a
> black man from a white man. and, even if there were,
> recombination requires long stretches of homology between
> DNAs, not small differences.  i'd bet it's nearly impossible
> to target black vs white vs yellow vs a gorilla.

Good. The article I read that suggested the possibility (I'm
pretty sure it was in _Science_ or _Scientific American_)
was rather spooky. I wish you'd said FLATLY impossible, though.
I'm (obviosly) not a biologist/geneticist/whatever, but aren't
there bugs that go after only chimps? And didn't that ebola
strain in Virginia only go after the lab monkeys, not the people?

...and from Jim Choate:

> Malarky.

< snip >

> Most of the threat of this type of experiments are from simple
> infections since viruses are not easily raised with this form
> of equipment.

People will have access to more and better equipment, though.

> One of my favorite 'technology rulers' is when the first strain
> of commen yeast is released which produces THC or LSD.

Heh. Guess they'll have to post extra guards at the Wonder Bread
plant, eh? Woudn't want terrorists dosing little Jimmy's lunch.

< interesting stuff snipped >

> I do not believe we will see this in the near term using the
> micro-manipulater systems which do direct injection of genetic
> material because of the cost and utility requirements of such
> equipment.

Which will probably become simplified, streamlined, and cheaper.
Who knows what techniques will be used 20-50 years from now?
Even though (fortunately) it seems that this kind of virus would
be much tougher to produce than I thought (if not impossible),
I can still see someone trying it and infecting EVERYONE in his
neighborhood/city/state.

And if it is possible, well, I'd rather have the idea explored
and cures developed (with the info available to all) before any
would-be Hitler surprised us.

Finally, from E. ALLEN SMITH

> E. Coli (the workhorse of prokaryotic genetics) can be a pathogen
> if the right plasmid is inserted.

> 	Incidentally, thanks to the person who quashed the
> "black-seeking virus" idiot.

Not my idea (I'm not that twisted; I find the idea horrifying).
I read the suggestion in either _Science_ or _Scientific American_
(early 1993?). Incidently, the idea was a virus that went after
people with specific racial traits, not a "black-seeking virus".
Don't attribute me with quotes that aren't mine. I have enough
problems with idiots who assume I'm a racist KKK country-music
loving redneck simply because I'm from Nashville.

> Human races are so far from being proper genetically distinct
> subspecies that nobody competent would call them that,

Guess what sunshine, they still teach this in mid- and high-schools.
Hell, even my dictionary sez "race - 1) a division of the human
population distinguished by physical characteristics transmitted
by genes." (Webster's II New Riverside Dictionary, if anyone cares)

> if they only weren't us.

Huh?

Now back to our regularly scheduled crypto (yeah, right).

--

|| ______    || comments, criticisms, and/or death-threats may be sent to: ||
|| \__  /\   ||            jonny anonymous, c/o jonnyx@edge.net            ||

Thread