1995-12-16 - Status of Apple proposal for wireless NII Band

Header Data

From: tkalil@ARPA.MIL (Tom Kalil)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ebba3c3bae0ce9978cf61e38fc5dcc27303e4238f4f366cd7c87903374d4d251
Message ID: <acf7b409000210041c11@[192.48.218.187]>
Raw Date: Sat, 16 Dec 1995 14:10:14 +0800

Raw message

From: tkalil@ARPA.MIL (Tom Kalil)
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 1995 14:10:14 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Status of Apple proposal for wireless NII Band

The Administration sent a letter to the FCC asking that they move forward
on the Apple and WinForum petitions.

The Administration's reasons for supporting the allocation are given
below.  The full filing is on the NTIA server at http://www.ntia.doc.gov

>>                                    November 2, 1995
>>
>> The Honorable Reed Hundt
>> Chairman
>> Federal Communications Commission
>> 1919 M Street, N.W.
>> Washington, D.C.  20554
>>
>>      Re:  RM 8648, RM 8653
>>
>> Dear Chairman Hundt:
>>
>>      This letter addresses the petitions for rulemaking filed
>> before the Commission in May 1995 by the Wireless Information
>> Networks Forum (WINForum) and Apple Computer Company, Inc.[1]
>> Those petitions request the allocation of certain spectrum in the
>> 5 GHz band and the adoption of service rules for shared
>> nonlicensed personal radio network devices.  Both the WINForum
>> Shared Unlicensed Personal Radio Network (SUPERnet) devices and
>> the Apple National Information Infrastructure (NII) Band devices
>> would allow operation of nonlicensed, high-speed, wireless
>> networks with multimedia capabilities.  NTIA believes that these
>> new wireless technologies have the potential to enhance education
>> and other community services.  Implementation of these networks
>> and the feasibility of spectrum sharing between the proposed
>> devices and Federal users should thus be fully explored by the
>> Commission.  We therefore recommend that the Commission proceed
>> with a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) so that the policy
>> and technical issues raised by the petitions may be addressed.
>>
>>      NTIA serves as the principal adviser to the President on
>> telecommunications and information issues, including the
>> Administration's NII and Global Information Infrastructure
>> initiatives.  In addition, as Federal spectrum manager, NTIA
>> shares with the Commission jurisdiction over the frequency bands
>> under discussion in the petitions.  NTIA believes that the
>> proposed WINForum and Apple devices could provide an important
>> means of nonlicensed wireless access to the NII.  Wireless
>> networks can be more affordable than wired networks.  Schools,
>> hospitals, businesses, and others would thus have convenient
>> access to communications networks with voice, video, data, and
>> graphics capabilities without the expense and disruption that
>> installing wired systems would require.
>>
>>      As you know, the President and Vice President have launched
>> an important initiative to connect all of our classrooms,
>> libraries, hospitals, and clinics to the NII by the year 2000.
>> This initiative, which promotes expanded access to computers,
>> teacher training, and the development of compelling educational
>> applications, has the potential to revolutionize our educational
>> system, changing the way teachers teach and students learn.
>> Students will be able to collaborate with their peers around the
>> world, search digital libraries, use remote scientific
>> instruments, and take "field trips" to on-line museums.  As
>> President Clinton said in a recent speech, "[e]very child in
>> America deserves the chance to get the high-tech know-how to
>> unlock the promises of the 21st Century."

> [...]

Thomas Kalil
Director to the National Economic Council
The White House
Washington, DC 20500
(p) (202) 456-2802
(f) (202) 456-2223

"What do we want?  Bandwidth!  When do we want it?  Now!"