1995-12-13 - Re: Timing Cryptanalysis Attack

Header Data

From: Adam Shostack <adam@lighthouse.homeport.org>
To: remailer@armadillo.com (Armadillo Remailer)
Message Hash: f50686446b7eed7bb261ccd1a4214d7083c85c4e8223e9bd8a80637d6f75568c
Message ID: <199512131439.JAA10842@homeport.org>
Reply To: <199512131315.HAA01726@monad.armadillo.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-12-13 15:03:10 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 23:03:10 +0800

Raw message

From: Adam Shostack <adam@lighthouse.homeport.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 23:03:10 +0800
To: remailer@armadillo.com (Armadillo Remailer)
Subject: Re: Timing Cryptanalysis Attack

Armadillo Remailer wrote:

| >My gut & scribble-on-the-back-of-a-napkin feeling about this class of
| >attack is that it could be a problem for smartcards (almost certainly)
|
| Is it a problem to create smartcards that do their calculations in
| fixed time? I'd guess it should be easier than on multi-purpose
| hardware.

	Not if the fixed time is in weeks.

	If you read the Crypto proceedings, you'll find a number of
papers on using an (untrusted) CPU, such as that in a cash machine, to
aid a smartcard.  This is because the CPUs in smartcards are very
slow.

	Maximchuck, at Bell Labs, has a protocol for Anonymous Credit
Cards which uses pre-chosen private keys between correspondants and a
set of remailers to anonymize credit card transactions with respsect
to a merchant. (The bank still knows who's buying how much, and I
think where.)  Anyway, he freely admits that the reason for private
key work is their cards couldn't handle the public key operations.

Adam

					               -Hume

Thread