1995-12-25 - Future Scenarios for e$: The DCSB Forecast

Header Data

From: rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f83ca97b82ab2fefcc0d3f9090e6ab7d55567ade197331c9d9b3ddf189e36ff7
Message ID: <v02120d05ad04bfd9361e@[199.0.65.105]>
Raw Date: Tue, 26 Dec 1995 05:38:00 +0800

Raw message

From: rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 1995 05:38:00 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Future Scenarios for e$: The DCSB Forecast

**************>>>>>>  Meeting Reminder: One week to go! <<<<<<***********
****>>>>>> Checks due to Shipwright *this* Saturday, December 30, 1995  <<<<<<**

                 The Digital Commerce Society of Boston
            (Formerly The Boston Society for Digital Commerce)

                               Presents

                      Art Hutchinson and John Kelly
                Northeast Consulting Resources Inc., (NCRI)

             "Future Scenarios for e$: The DCSB Forecast"

                        Tuesday, January 2, 1995
                               12 - 2 PM
                   The Downtown Harvard Club of Boston
                     One Federal Street, Boston, MA

I've been talking to Art Hutchinson last week, and it looks like we're in for a
treat.  This is going to be particularly useful, coming as it does at the
beginning of the new year. He and John Kelly are going to put our
prognostication skills through their paces with what amounts to a 90's version
of Delphi exercise, using us, a bunch of people who, if anyone, should have an
interesting take on where commerce on the internet is going in the next few
years. I'm psyched. Art and John are old pros at this kind of thing, so I expect
this is going to be great fun.

Since we're going to be doing something different besides listening to a speaker
this time, I'd like to suggest that we get there right at 12 noon to get
things started immediately, New Year's aldehyde toxcicity notwithstanding.
;-).

Instead of one big group around a table, we'll be sitting at smaller tables
with
a pile of future "events" to prognisticate about. Our opinions about the
likelihood about those events will be recorded by a "scribe" at each table, and
then posted for all to look at during/after lunch. The "events" are drawn
from a
giant database of these things that NCRI has acquired over the years, filtered
down to e$-relevance, plus some suggestions from the stuff we've discussed on
the dcsb list and at monthly meetings.

This meeting of the Boston Society for Digital Commerce will be held on
Tuesday, January 2, 1995 from 12pm - 2pm at the Downtown Branch of the
Harvard Club of Boston, One Federal Street. The price for lunch is $27.50.
This price includes lunch, room rental, and the speaker's lunch. ;-).  The
Harvard Club *does* have a jacket and tie dress code.

We need to receive a company check, or money order, (or if we *really* know
you, a personal check) payable to "The Harvard Club of Boston", by *this*
Saturday, December 30 , or you won't be on the list for lunch. We're trying to
hold the line on advance registration this time, because the holiday makes for
considerable uncertainty in reservations. I will be sending confirmations early
this time, on Thursday, just to make sure.  Checks payable to anyone else but
The Harvard Club of Boston will have to be sent back.

Checks should be sent to Robert Hettinga, c/o The Shipwright Development
Corporation, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, Massachusetts, 02131. Again, they
must be made payable to "The Harvard Club of Boston".

If anyone has questions, or has a problem with these arrangements (We've had
to work with glacial A/P departments more than once, for instance), please
let us know via e-mail, and we'll see if we can work something out.

Planned speakers for the following few months are:

 February    Fred Hapgood     Freelance Author
 March       Glenda Barnes    X.9 Electronic Commerce Security Group
 April       Donald Eastlake  CyberCash
 May         Perry Metzger    Security Consultant and Cypherpunk
 June        Dan Shutzer      FSTC

We are actively searching for future speakers.  If you are in Boston on the
first Tuesday of the month, and you would like to make a presentation to the
Society, please send e-mail to the DCSB Program Commmittee, care of Robert
Hettinga, rah@shipwright.com .

For more information about the Boston Society for Digital Commerce, send
"info dcsb" in the body of a message to majordomo@ai.mit.edu .  If you want
to subscribe to the DCSB e-mail list, send "subscribe dcsb" in the body of a
message to majordomo@ai.mit.edu .

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Cheers,
Robert Hettinga
Moderator,
The Digital Commerce Society of Boston

Robert Hettinga (rah@shipwright.com)
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA (617) 958-3971
"Reality is not optional." --Thomas Sowell
The NEW(!) e$ Home Page: http://thumper.vmeng.com/pub/rah/

Thread