1995-12-05 - No Privacy Right on “My” Desktop ?

Header Data

From: “James M. Cobb” <jcobb@ahcbsd1.ovnet.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: fb554ffa9e48b199ca435563f69ed7863a547f53bbb34f2ca0ca0a8012fed999
Message ID: <Pine.BSD.3.91.951205025944.29416B-100000@ahcbsd1.ovnet.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 5 Dec 95 00:05:02 PST

Raw message

From: "James M. Cobb" <jcobb@ahcbsd1.ovnet.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 95 00:05:02 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: No Privacy Right on "My" Desktop ?

Friend,

A 12 04 95 The Electronic Telegraph newsstory headlined

            'Spoilsport' software bars games

reports that

   An American company called DVD has developed a utility
   called UnGame that can delete up to 3,100 games from a
   computer network.  Even if the game is hidden on the com-
   puter user's own hard disk, it will find it.

The user's own hard disk?

   Although the machines at work usually belong to the com-
   pany, most employees regard them as an electronic equi-
   valent of their desk, and are similarly territorial.

John Davison, PC Zone editor, says:

   If anyone stole something from your desk you'd be fed up.
   If anybody stole something from my computer, I'd be equal-
   ly disgusted.

What kind of software is UnGame?

The newsstory suggests the answer:

   ...industry experts have complained that companies may
   be releasing "tailored viruses"....

I believe my first post to the list was about McAfee's Virus
Blocker.  Perhaps that can be...adapted.

If so, those who then declared the information had nothing
to do with privacy may continue playing their games.

Of course companies may try another tack: Oracle's "internet
terminal."

As dlv@bwalk.dm.com pointed out in his 11 18 95 post,

 [I guess, they mean no permanent storage or software other
 than the browser in ROM. No remembered state, no viruses
 ... -DV]

In "my" terminal.

Cordially,

Jim

NOTE.  The Electronic Telegraph's website URL is:

       http://www.telegraph.co.uk

       The newsstory's online filename is:

       ngame02.htm

       It was written by:

       ROBERT UHLIG, TECHNOLOGY CORRESPON-
       DENT

       It first appeared in 12 03 95 The Daily Telegraph.

       The McAfee website URL is:

       http;//www.mcafee.com

Thread