1996-01-31 - EFF Compromises, as described in “Wired”

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 016e07835c82818cb5ae3a1ca40704ba2b440eaeae0a70aeda07ff8b284e63a1
Message ID: <ad3303302b021004e6c2@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 16:57:23 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 16:57:23 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: EFF Compromises, as described in "Wired"

If Eric Hughes can break his silence to comment on the FV "discovery" of
keystroke-capture programs (funny, I've had a couple on my Mac for years,
for error recovery), then I guess I can break my silence about "Wired"
articles.

This afternoon I sat in a bookstore and skimmed the article on what
happened at the EFF, about the Digital Telephony compromise that was
approved by the EFF board (our own John Gilmore  was reported to have been
the sole negative vote), and about how the EFF was effectively "chased out
of town" as a result of trying to be a political entity. I can't comment on
this outlook, as I am nowhere near the inner circles of the EFF.

But it underscores a belief I have: that if you play _their_ game, they
have already won, and you just don't know it.

What's the alternative? Get them to play _your_ (_our_) game, and maybe
they won't win.

I'm still a member of the EFF, but the more I read about their problems,
including a $200,000 debt, the more convinced I am that the Cypherpunks
model is a better place to devote one's efforts and hopes to. We're still
going strong after almost three and a half years, with no debt (no assets
except ourselves, of course) and no "relocations" from Boston to Washington
to San Francisco.

So, maybe we're doing OK.

--Tim

Boycott espionage-enabled software!